Tuesday, April 21, 2009

April Maker Challenge #22/30 : selfEthnographer

WHAT: listen.... i have some issues. with myself. while i've always had an underlying desire to make things work "better" - i have often not paid much attention to myself. SO. i want to make a video-recording system that allows me to self-critique certain aspects of my daily life. go METRICS!

OBJECTIVE: make a portable, discreet, schedule-able video-recording system for self ethnography. It should be able to also be triggered by an event (not just time). initially - i would like this to work within the home, but later - hopefully portable and cheap enough to install in my car, or at work, or at the gym or whatever.

HOW: a camcorder would be reccommended. also - some way to trigger this to an event (time or an action set off by myself). A task action list is also needed, since i dont have enough time to study everything i do in life. I will start out small, with simple tasks like brushing my teeth, or drawing a sketch, or feeding my cat. It'd be nice to slowly graduate this to my muay thai form, or balance and movement when rock climbing.
this would give rise not just to improve myself, but also possible interjections for innovating products.

APPLICATION: Example scenarios would be my nighttime shutdown/sleep patterns (so i can hopefully figure out how to go to bed more predictably without burning time away online). a startup/wakeup routine study would be interesting - since my snoozetime varies so much. i'd like to watch myself draw - to REALLY see how many bad drawing habits i need to kick. i also believe my seating posture in my home chair changes over time, varying with my interest/stress levels. these are all things i can be better about, or devise a better way to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment